Fun at Disneyland

Fun at Disneyland

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Insurance and Uncertainty

I am in the process of finding new healthcare insurance for our family. Being in the crisis with Blake, we were faced with the possibility of having him hospitalized at a mediocre (at best) children’s psychiatric hospital in Torrance, CA. Not surprisingly, Kaiser doesn’t have a contract with UCLA, so that wasn’t a possibility. I knew we needed a quality multi-disciplinary healthcare team for both Blake and James. I knew we needed experienced, cutting edge doctors in the mental health field. We were just not going to get that with Kaiser HMO.

So, we’re getting quotes right now, and plowing ahead, privately with ABA therapy. We are leaning towards starting Blake on Risperdal. I don’t know if it’s the right thing to do or not. I guess I am taking a leap of faith because we’re at the point that our family life is dysfunctional on a daily basis.  I have started charting his behavior and moods and can really see that transitions and changes in plans set him off. Also, stopping video game play is another big trigger.

The more I read, the more sure I become that Blake has Aspergers Syndrome. I would like him to be accessed though the UCLA Autism clinic (which I have read is world renowned), but it’s over $5000 cash for an assessment, so that will have to wait until we get the new insurance.

I wish we could wait to get a diagnosis and to see true quality child psychiatrists with the new insurance, but I don’t think we can wait. It is so, so hard on us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment